Friday, May 15, 2009

STUCK!

On the drive back to Colorado, at the end of spring break, when the front of the car was in Iowa, and the back of the car was in Illinois, we got stuck in the middle of the Mississippi River!

Here is how it happened:

It was a dark and cold spring morning. The sun was just coming up. We set out from Nauvoo, Illinois to Iowa. We started across the Mississippi River on a draw bridge. Suddenly the draw bridge came apart to let a barge through. We were stuck in the middle of the Mississippi River! Dad got out and took a picture of the barge. The barge got through and the gate started closing. After it closed, it started opening again! We sat there for one hour waiting to get across. Finally, the gate opened and we got across.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE your intro on this, Ellie. It wrapped me right in!!

That was a great experience, wasn't it?!

Darcee said...

Post a picture so I can see. Sounds exciting!

Anonymous said...

Wish I had been there.

Papa

Diane said...

Ellie,
This is really good writing! You write better than most adults. I loved hearing about the Mississippi River, as it is close to my heart. I have not crossed it on the drawbridge you are talking about, though I think I did as a child. We always cross it now between Nauvoo and Hamilton..where did YOU cross it? That sounds like a fun experience that we apparently have been missing out on!
I think you might be a writer someday..you are now! Have you looked for some writing contests in your area? I think you should!
Love,
Diane

Camille said...

Cool!